Christmas 2017 – the girls had a scavenger hunt and had to put together the pieces of a puzzle that showed the entire Pacific Ocean; each puzzle piece had a limerick that took them to their next stop; the map had two stars with the letters KOA and PDX. They did not understand what it meant, rightfully so, so we had to give them hints and the finally figured it out.
2013 was the last time we went to Hawaii with the girls, so was extra fun this time because both of them know how to swim and we spent a lot of time snorkeling, which was really lovely. Days were as they usually are in Hawaii: up with the sun, beach, home for lunch, pool, then some nights were for exploring. Overall it was very peaceful. We had really odd weather every evening – wind howled through Waikaloa so strongly that our curtains were flopping around. We had never seen weather like that before and didn’t really enjoy the evening whistling winds that kept us up for parts of the night.
Jon and I had both started Weight Watchers FreeStyle program right when it came out in December, so being in Hawaii with tree-ripened fruits and fresh veggies was really great and made it so much easier to stay on track. I had a papaya every single day I was there, so when I saw them in the store back in Anchorage, I excited bought one remembering how amazing and juicy there were in Hawaii. Sadly, it tasted like cardboard. I won’t be spending $6-8 per papaya in Alaska again. Yuck.
We took them to Kona and Portland January 1st – 10th, 2018. It was a lovely trip. Portland was really the highlight because there was just so much fun to be had, art to be seen and good food to eat.
Sometimes the girls and I try to figure out where we have taken them, so I’m going to attempt to keep track here, as neither of them keeps track for themselves.
- 2006: Tulip Festival in Washington
- 2006: Hawaii, Oahu specifically, with Ken & Sue and the girls
- 2008: Oahu where we caught up with Tom after visiting from Japan, then headed over to and the Big Island with Swanson’s – Kris was there, too.
- 2009: Seattle with everybody
- 2010: California to Mexico Carnival Cruise
- 2011: Galveston Cruise to Mexico, Cayman Cayman, and Jamaica
- 2012: ?
- 2013: Hawaii, Big Island
- 2014: Thanksgiving in Washington; Bobbie was here in the summer so we spent a few day in Seward
- 2015: Florida / November 2015 is the year we started Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University and only do cash transactions, paid off everything except our house, and do not use credit cards unless we pay them off right away because we do want the miles.
- 2016: Idaho
- 2017: Florida and their first time flying across the country and all alone!
- 2018: Hawaii and Portland
A-Bay, The Big Island, Hawaii, 2018.
Posted by Jamie Lang | Filed under personal
≈ Comments Off on Hawaii and Portland 2018